A Flapper

A Flapper
A "Partay" Girl of the 1920s

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Tomato Spice Cake

This recipe is from my sister, Daphne, in Orlando. Here is what she had to say:

Mo, here is a recipe you might like to use. I'm making it this week.

It's from my old yellowed May, 1962, B H and G, Recipes of the Century.

It dates to about 1935, with the then intriguing title, Tomato Spice Cake. I'm sending the easy version, made with a Box Mix. You were supposed to ask your guests to name the surprise ingredient, Tomato Soup. It was noted that few people had an electric mixer at this time. (I believe Mother did not have her Mix-Master until about 1950.)

Prepare batter from 1 package spice-cake mix according to directions but using one can condensed tomato soup plus 1/4 cup water in place of the liquid called for. Add a half-cup each of seedless raisins and chopped nuts. Follow directions for pan preparation and size on the box, preheating oven to 350. Cool and frost with purchased cream cheese frosting.

I have made this and it is very good.

Love,

Daph

No comments: