A Flapper

A Flapper
A "Partay" Girl of the 1920s

Friday, May 21, 2004

Yellow Squash Casserole

I don't remember who taught me this one, but
there are never any leftovers to throw out.

Start with 1 to 2 lbs of yellow squash. They
should be bright yellow and firm. Wash and cut
them into medium slices.

Next, chop up one-half of a good sized sweet onion
like a Vidalia for example.

When I first started making this, I would put the
onion and squash in a pan with a little water. Now I
use a steamer. Either way works fine. Sprinkle on
some Lawry's Seasoning salt and steam for several
minutes til the veggies begin to soften. I am from
a southern background and we don't like crunchy
vegetables that might retain too many vitamins that
could be harmful.

Put the steamed squash and onions in an oven-safe
casserole dish. Add most of a small container of
sour cream to the veggies. Add one cup of shredded
sharp cheddar cheese.

Now, use a spatula or some other sort of kitchen
weapon of minor distruction to chop up the veggies
some more and mix it all together with the dairy
products.

Lastly, I put a layer of Pepperidge Farm cornbread
dressing mix on top of the mixture and bake for one-
half hour at 350.

I have used herb dressing also and that works fine too.

Most folks like this.

No comments: